The first stage of the gold refinery renovation project was named “The Main Avenue” to commemorate the historic name of Yekaterinburg principal thoroughfare, later renamed “Lenin Avenue”.
The project itself is distinguished by preserving two historic buildings – the three-floor old 1916 refinery; and the ten-stories 1970s factory laboratory, designed by the Ural architect Vladimir Shaposhnik. These two historic buildings were combined into a single complex by the renovation efforts. The space between them was roof-covered to create multifunctional atrium space, with a renovated green space on the top available for residents. Since 1916, the refinery building had submerged into the ground almost one floor deep. Dropping an open gallery down along the entire building, the renovation allowed to attach this part of the facade to the atrium space. The same methods were applied to convert the southern facade, so the entire three-storey building exterior is now open for viewers’ perception.
The complex hosts exhibition, entertainment, office, hotel, and apartment facilities. It is hard to overestimate the historical value of this project for Yekaterinburg. It was put into operation in Fall 2016.
Overall floor space of The Main Avenue’s first stage is 19326 sq m, underground parking of 20 lots floor space – 500 sq m.
1 st place
alexey kukovyakin, Iuliia Udalova
Alkuta ltd, MASK LTD
IMPLEMENTED BUILT, MULTIPURPOSE COMPLEXES, PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION, Season 2018, Победители