The contemporary challenges of uncontrolled urbanization, poverty, isolation, social maladjustment, climatic and environmental changes pose an inevitable question before architects and designers, how architecture could be used to transform society and strengthen social solidarity. The current pandemic adds new meanings to the discussion of this issue and sets new challenges for the community of these professionals.
The International Summit «ArchEurasia» should become a global initiative aimed at:
- highlighting the major role of architecture in the modern world
- elucidating the value of architecture as a means of humanization of urban planning processes drawing on international best practices in the field of social architecture and as a means of creating and enabling safe environments
- identifying ways towards effective interdisciplinary cooperation and consensus with civil society at all stages of planning activities
- re-evaluating critically the existing practices and developing new solutions for prompt response to changing daily life needs caused by the pandemic
The need to work out a new paradigm in social development is dictated not only by the global challenge of the pandemic that the humankind is facing now but also by a widening gap in the theory and practice of interaction between the authorities and the general public in the urban planning sphere. Today it is obvious that architects can and should become agents of change towards social consent.
Being distanced from the influence of governmental idolegemes and sectoral lobbying pressures, the «ArchEurasia» Summit will enable open and free discussion involving all stakeholders — architects, designers, urbanists, public officials, researchers, and NGO representatives.
The overarching theme of the summit is «Architecture and Society»
The sessions will focus on the following:
• pre-eminence of the principles of «sustainable architecture» as a response to the needs of the 21st century
• the growing social function of architecture
• professional ethics of the architectural community in the context of relationships with the authorities and business
• readjustable architecture and mobile spaces
• reconsideration of the concept of public space and home
• design innovations for the social sectors (healthcare, sports, education, hospitality, etc.).
• social activity and urbanism: the role of non-governmental movements in urban development
The end result of the Summit will be a memorandum summarizing the lively dialogue in a collective message to various sectors: construction, tourism, healthcare, culture, sports, etc.
The «ArchEurasia» summit of architects, urbanists and designers will conclude with the presentation of awards to the winners of the XVth International competition of architecture and design «Eurasian Prize».
«Eurasian Prize» is an international competition in architecture and design, which has been held annually since 2003. It is a unique non-profit project designed to identify talented architects, urban planners and designers capable of bringing new ideas and solutions into the world. Over this period, nearly 9,000 professionals from more than 30 countries around the world have taken part in this competition.
The prestige of the «Eurasian Prize» is determined by the fact that it is judged by a highly reputable Jury. Thus, the Jury of the recently held XVth season included founders and executives of renowned architectural consultancies from 16 countries: PATRIK SCHUMACHER (Principal of Zaha Hadid Architects), BEN VAN BERKEL (Founder / Principal Architect UNStudio), JÜRGEN MAYER H. (Principal J. MAYER H. und Partner), KARIM RASHID (icon of Industrial design, co-founder Kurv Architecture), ANDREY BOKOV (Vice President of International Academy of Architecture (IAA)), CARLO RATTI (Director, MIT Senseable City Lab Founding Partner, C R A), KRIS YAO (Hon. FAIA, Founder of KRIS YAO | ARTECH), RAINER MAHLAMÄKI (Architect M.Sc., co-founder Lahdelma & Mahlamäki Architects), PETER IPPOLITO (Founder, managing partner, IF Group), MANAL RACHDI (Founder and director of Oxo Architects), BEN DUCKWORTH (Head of Design-Architecture, HASSELL), LARS KRÜCKEBERG (Founding Partner, CEO GRAFT), LUIS PANCORBO (Ph.D., founder, Pancorbo Arquitectos), HYUNHO LEE (Partner, co-founder of Chiasmus Partner), ANSSI LASSILA (Founder OOPEAA) and other world famous architects and designers.